Sunday 29 March 2009

The dog's lounge.....



This is our two-seater that lives in our sunroom. A good pal gave it to me a few years back after finding it on a kerbside pickup, yep a rubbish pile, of course it was in quite a different state when it was found, but he thought I may be able to do something with it.

Unfortunately, I do not have the "before" pics to show you, (this is something I'm not very good at, but promise to do better in the future). Anyway, I saw the potential and set out to restore it. It is actually a nanna-lounge —the armrests on each side fold down and it has a framed spring base to make a little bed.....except this was no bed for someones little nanna, it had been used as a dog's bed! It was missing the cushions, there was a heap of dog hair over the base and the wood veneer surface was not in the best condition, however I was surprised to find the black vinyl covering was fine after a wipedown.



It received a thorough cleaning, the woodwork was sanded back, I applied some walnut stain and finished it off with a satin clear coat. My wife, Alison came up with the diamond design and we decided to have the single cushion made, by a local car upholsterer, from auto grade vinyl in matching black and off-white. The piece hanging on the wall above is "Enchanted Tiki", a limited edition serigraph by Derek Yaniger.

No comments:

Post a Comment